Friday
1*14*2011
The morning light came through the window and I woke with a start; knowing that today I would get on a plane to fly across the country to bury my grandmother. The grandmother who I looked forward to going to visit every summer. The grandmother who let me eat candy whenever I wanted, and gave me my love of candy. The grandmother who loved everyone and was the sweetest little lady. The grandmother who raised my mom and aunts to be the mothers they are today.
We left the house and drove to the airport, arriving still in shock of what was going on. One, I never go anywhere during the winter. Two, it was like I as on automatic as we walked through the airport and the twinge of excitement that you are going on a trip is rushing through your blood- only for the reality of where and why you were going to sink in. We got on the plane- had a smooth flight- met Jessica & Roy at the airport- picked up a rental car- drove 3 hours to get to Bluefield- all the while I am perfectly fine. The tears have yet to come. The reality of it all- yet to come. Everyone would be at Granny’s just like always. You pull in the driveway and escape your cares and worries of the real world because you have arrived at “Granny’s” I may be 24 years old but you are never too old for you “Granny’s” where late night snacks, game shows on tv, and stories of times past are the regular. Yet this time, when we pulled in the driveway the reality hit. Like a BRICK. I suddenly couldn’t move. The girl, who had been so anxious the whole 3 hour drive about getting here so we could all be together- couldn’t move. Suddenly the flood gates opened and the tears came. I couldn’t get out of the car. I couldn’t walk into the house and not hear sweet Grannys voice yelling from her wheelchair- “Who’s There?” or walk into the kitchen to see Granny leaning over the fridge with her wheelchair blocking the way to whatever anyone wanted. But most of all, I couldn’t go in there and Granny not be there- Mom held me in her arms until I was ready to face the family. Together we could face the upcoming days. Alone, in the car I was just that. Alone. I got out and Paula came out to the car to give me hugs. I went the house where I saw my Aunt Jenny- I went straight to her and cried more & she held me and cried back. Then I moved from Aunt Jenny to Aunt Ruby where we tried to joke and make the situation that was bringing us all together not so depressing. We laughed through our tears but all of us knew how badly each other were hurting. People I didn’t know were coming in and out, dropping off loads and loads of food.
Trying to escape from the chaos, I put on my jacket and coat and went to play in the snow. The first time I have ever seen snow. I was a little kid at Christmas. The sorrow of the hour past and I frolicked and played in the snow. I made Paula, Mom & Dad come outside and play. I made snowballs and pegged Daddy only for him to turn around and almost peg me in the face (not on purpose, I’m sure). After coming in and out a number of times, Dad got the camera and Paula and I went outside to make snow angels. (Remember this is my first time in snow) Paula tricked me and I made the snow angels by myself. HMPH! : ) 
It was fun and I made a “perfect snow angel”.
I made two side-by-side so that we had a Grandpa angel and a Grandma angel. I was freezing and soaking wet when I came inside.
The rest of the night was spent with family. Being together was the best thing we all needed. People continued to bring food and stuff over as we all just sat around being with each other. We headed to bed early seeing that the funeral was the next day and we would be getting up early.
No comments:
Post a Comment