Friday
1*21*2011
We woke up and got busy. I actually woke up to mom already in the front bathroom going through EVERYTHING!! She was laughing because she opened a drawer and found a Butterfinger. (Figures- Granny always had candy hidden everywhere). I got up and began helping. We dived up all 35 bottles of lotion. Granny LOVED her lotion. That took awhile and after we had emptied everything out from the cabinets and put everything in piles, I showered. Mom moved to the back bathroom and cleaned that one out while I took a break and read my book some. (I know- total help I was)
After the bathrooms were finished, we made grilled cheese and tomato soup. Shawn got there and we had some more soup and sandwiches. Before long, everyone was back over and we all hung out together. Mom suddenly realized it was Friday night and we were leaving Sunday and panicked that we hadn’t gotten enough done. So before long we were in another cabinet going through and making piles some more. Before too late, we headed to bed so we could get busy on Saturday.
P.S. Sorry no pictures of this day...cleaning bathrooms doesn't make for a very good backdrop. : )
Satuday
1*22*2011
Saturday I woke up and had breakfast before showering and getting ready for the day. We sat around and discussed our plan for the day before getting busy. Before long, U. Pete brought A. Jenny up to the house and we had sloppy joes and hot dogs for lunch.
After lunch, I started making piles. I took all the pictures and knick-knacks off the shelves in the living room and divided them among the sisters. This was huge. This was the first thing that we had done that you really could tell a difference. (Everything else had been cleaning out cabinets, under sinks, etc.) But we wanted to de-clutter and de-personalize the space just in case someone needed to come and look at the house. (Realtor wise) Mom & A. Jenny went through cabinets and bookshelves. While Mom & A. Jenny went through things, I went through the house with Shawn and took pictures of every paitning my grandfather had done that was framed in the house. Grandpa loved loved loved to paint. He loved precious moments, birds, houses, etc. Shawn & I also went down into the basement and found some more painting that he had done that weren’t framed. One of mom’s favorites is a photo of Granny that he drew while he was away at war right after they got married. (in slide show) Finally, I finished all the photos and decided to take a break. Well with mom in go go go mood- a break wasn’t happening. I helped them go through things, throw things away, get trash bags, climb on shelves, etc.
| A free slideshow design by Smilebox |
As the afternoon wore on, A. Ruby & Paula arrived and the sorting continued. Shawn & I went for a ride to Lowes. Granny told A. Jenny something before she died. (When Papa died, Shawn & U. Pete went and got a lantern to put out on his grave.) Well Granny told Jenny to make sure the light was always burning because she didn’t want to be out there in the dark. (Yes, we know she ISNT out there and she is NOT in the ground- but still the human in us feels the pain and sadness of dark and cold) So Shawn & I drove to Lowes to try and find a matching lantern so they would each have their own. However, Grandpa died in 1993. We couldn’t find the same light. So we decided on a hummingbird light & a butterfly light and we would move the lantern to the middle. Grandpa loved hummingbirds & Granny loved butterflies. PERFECT! I held my tears back but will always remember being able to go and help pick out what keeps their grave lit up at night. They were really pretty. I kinda wanna go get some for our yard so I can daily be reminded and remember what an amazing family I come from- both sides.
**My cousin Shawn with the lights**
That night we ate pizza and worked some more. We worked until we went to bed. Finally, we hit the sack because Sunday morning we would be driving to catch a plane.
One of the treasures Mom found... (I took a picture of the picture & then edited it to bring out the brightness)

Momma & Her Daddy on her wedding day...a treasure always
No comments:
Post a Comment