Saturday
1*15*2011
The Day of the Funeral
1*15*2011
The Day of the Funeral
"The Many Faces"
When I first started my word document under this day was written, plain and simple:
"I can't write about this day yet." There were too many emotions. Since then, I wrote.
I woke up and must have been on automatic. I have never dealt with death like this before. I can’t cry. And if you know me, you know I am a CRIER!! I showered, put on my black dress, my black leggings, and my black boots. I even put on makeup and fixed my hair. I had brought pants to wear but mom said she was wearing her dress (it is 30 degrees and icy & snowy). She said her Momma deserves a dress. So Jessica & I wore a dress as well. We arrived at the funeral home around 11. We went into the chapel and I cried. The tears just came. There is no way to avoid it.
The family was the only ones there from 11-12 then it was open to the public. She looked so peaceful and beautiful. They fixed her hair, painted her nails and made her look like an angel. We know she is in a better place. Around 12, the funeral home filled up. The amount of love throughout the funeral home that day is worth more than its weight in gold. So many people came from all over. The line down the aisle was almost out the door there were so many people. Saturday was the longest day ever. From 12-2:30 people came from near and far in ice and snow to tell Granny goodbye and pay their respects- at 2:20 they began the service. Pastor Davis, the family pastor- (married mom & dad, knew our family forever, was at one time my aunt’s father-in-law) did the service. He talked about moms and how there is always a place in your heart for your mom that cannot be filled by anyone other than the Lord. He talked about how what you do and how you act is rooted in the way your mother raised you. He talked about how he knew our family and how loved Granny is.
After the funeral service we got in our cars and followed the hearse to the cemetery where we would say our final goodbye to our beloved grandmother. We drove in the freezing weather down the road to the cemetery where we all filed into the mausoleum (it was too cold to do it graveside). We had a short service and then it was done. The finality of it-
We came home and before long the house was full of family and people. I have decided that I deal with things like this through photos. I got my camera and went around and decided I took
“The Many Faces of Maggie’s Funeral”
the laughter, the tears, the sadness,
the babies, the unborn babies,
the stress, the distraught,
the innocence of a child, and the cry of a baby
but above everything else-
family was together and that was all that mattered.
| This free picture slideshow made with Smilebox |
No comments:
Post a Comment